Friday, May 29, 2009

In the Meantime...

Originally, I was told that my permanent stimulator would go in a week after the trial, which sounded great because I could get on with my life, and because I wouldn't have much time between the two to worry about pain. Unfortunately, my doctor scheduled my permanent installation (ha, sounds like I'm getting new kitchen cabinets or something...I wish!) for June 4. That made a 3 week gap between one stimulator being taken out, and the other put in. Ugh.

Lucky for me, the results of my trial lasted nearly 10 days. I was really surprised by that, but in a good way. I felt great for about a week in there. Then I felt the pain coming back slowly, and then suddenly I was hit with the worst headache I think I've ever had. Bedridden, puking, the whole deal. I thought I was gonna die. I couldn't even get up long enough to go to the doctor, but it wouldn't have helped anyway. They didn't want to give me another nerve block before the surgery...something to do with bleeding risks (I dunno, I don't exactly understand how a lot of those medications work). So I suffered. That initial horrible pain lessened after about 2 days and since then I've just been taking Tylenol like there's no tomorrow (no aspirin products because, again, increased bleeding risk at surgery time).

I'm now actually excited about getting the permanent implant. I was scared for a long time, but after going through the trial, and after going through that excruciating headache following the trial, I can't wait to have the implant in me. I know it won't be a walk in the park but at least it everyday the pain gets less as I heal (unlike with the headaches) and that there is an end in sight to that pain. Now if June 4 would just hurry up and get here...

No comments:

Post a Comment