Saturday, June 13, 2009

Take It Easy

On Thursday I was so exhausted that I slept all day. Literally. I didn't get out of bed until 4:00 p.m. and still went to bed that night before midnight...and slept for a good 8 hours. Yesterday (Friday) I took a 4 hour nap in the middle of the day, and last night I slept 12 hours as well. I seem to forget that surgery was only a week ago, and that it really takes it out of your body. I have to keep reminding myself to take it easy. Otherwise I seem to be exhausting myself...apparently. Not a very good idea!

I'm also still taking pain meds. Sometimes I think "I feel so good!" and then I over-do it and end up hurting, or I think I don't need my pain meds anymore, and then once they wear off completely I realize that was stupid. I guess I'm having a hard time realizing that I'm still recovering, but I definitely am still recovering...my body is telling me so. So, if you have surgery, just remember that it'll probably take a few weeks or a month to be back up to par, even if it is what they call a "simple outpatient procedure." What's simple to the doctor is not simple to your body. Although I find it hard to believe that hooking up all these wires and tunneling them under my skin is a "simple" procedure since it's hard to find a doctor that actually does these ONSTIM implants. I guess it's not as hard as, say, open heart surgery, but I'd say it's a bit more complicated than maybe an appendectomy. But who am I to classify surgeries as simple or hard?

No comments:

Post a Comment