Thursday, June 25, 2009

Three Weeks Post-Surgery

Today is officially three weeks since surgery. I started back to work this week--jumped right in and started going full time. Monday was a bit rough. My head really started hurting in the afternoon and I had to crank up the stimulator, but I still had a bit of a hard time keeping the pain controlled. I'm sure it was just the massive stress of coming back after being away since February. I was fine the next morning. I was also really tired when I got home that evening. I guess I'm not used to doing anything productive for that span of time!

Wednesday was rather warm, and I was driving around in a truck most of the day for work, and for some reason I had another day where I could feel the wire in my neck a lot. Mostly on the's definitely tighter on that side. It doesn't restrict my movement or just feels kind of weird. I thought I'd be used to it by now, but I'm not, which makes me think it's a little tighter than it should be. I think the next time I go to Chicago (which won't be anytime soon) I might ask about getting a wire extender put in on that wire. I'm afraid that if it's too tight I may over time end up compensating for that and screwing up my neck or posture or something dumb.

"I may walk around looking like this, but at least I don't have headaches anymore!"

Yeah...not so much.

My scalp is still a bit more sensitive than I'd expect, but only really on the left side (the side I had the trial wires put in on). And the battery site is still a bit tender too. Sometimes I forget about it and do something that hurts it a bit, which is annoying. BUT I don't seem to feel it as much as I used to...I'm definitely getting used to it, which is positive. I'm not taking the painkillers anymore...I weaned myself off them during the week as I hated that "junkie" feeling I had this weekend and I seem to be fine now.

All in all, things are going well. Sometimes I feel like I'm not as far along in my healing as I wish I was, but at least I'm back to a sense of normalcy. I even have social plans for the weekend for the first time in months. Yep, I'm just that popular.


  1. How are you feeling now?

  2. You know, I don't feel much different now than I did 3 weeks after surgery. I guess the healing process has slowed down a bit. But my headaches are under control, for the most part, so that's good. My biggest struggles now are #1: trying to get the programming/settings on my stimulator figured out to use it to it's maximum benefit, and #2: dealing with these tight wires on the right side of my neck.